Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silo Map for Fan Fiction Writers...

Silo Map for Fan Fiction Writers...

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes.

I wanted to share a Silo map I created while writing my fan fiction book. There may be other maps out there (?) but if not I thought this might be useful to some.

My story (Unhinged) has a lot of vertical movement up and down the stairwell and the Silo has, in my world, become extremely socially striated based on level / section of Silo. So...having a clear idea of exactly where everything is (level-wise) was important to me.

The map is here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz9l...it?usp=sharing

A few notes:

1. I referenced where in the Omnibus I pulled the level reference (e.g. "Omnibus 57"). Where there is no reference, that is my assumption of what might be on that level, since the beauty of fan fiction is taking license for our own stories.
    2. I thought it was interesting to show all 144 levels, and the physical "distance" (each spreadsheet cell is a level, scale-wise) between the various levels...so there are a lot of blanks, but again, beauty of fan fiction is we can fill those in with our own creations. I'm a visual thinker so seeing the entire Silo, broken out by up-top, Mids, and down deep, helped me plot out my story
    3. I'd love comments or feedback, especially if there are items to add and of course if I got anything wrong
    4. Please use this if you'd like to...what got me started writing fan fiction was the openness that Hugh Howey showed with his Silo world, so I thought it would be cool to share this and pay it forward (if it's of use to anyone, that is).

If anyone has problems downloading I can send you the file through email.

Brigid
    Last edited by Brigid; 07-30-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Brigid D'Souza | [URL="http://SpeckledNotebook.com"]http://SpeckledNotebook.com[/URL] | Author of "[URL="http://amzn.com/B00E5PBUZK"]Silo Saga: Unhinged[/URL]" in KindleWorlds

Thanks for this! Very useful and informative. I was using the one on: http://woolpedia.org/index.php?title=Silos

How cool, Bridget! That's a lot of work you did, there!! And welcome to the forums.

Brigid,

Thank you for sharing this. I am a very visual person as well, so I had created my own map when I was writing VISIONS of WOOL, using the same method as you it seems. (: I'm happy to note that both docs line up perfectly!

Welcome to the Silo!

~ Hanna

Down Deep
    Very interesting. I wonder what is on all of the other levels! Thanks for creating a map like this, definitely a boon to those who are thinking of writing in the universe

I am also interested in maps. in the 60's they came out with architectural drawings of the star ship enterprise, I would love to see that done with the silo. I have just made a couple of rough sketches of a couple of levels. I was looking to see how many levels of housing would be needed to accommodate 5000 people
    I used 225 feet for the diameter of the silo. I have 48 units on each level of varying sizes to house app 256 people on each level. We would need app 20 levels for housing. Now how huch farm space do we need to feed these 5000 people.

I know that 225 feet seems quite big compare to the cruze missile silo at I believe app. 50 feet but as I could not fine any reference to Size 225 seemed like a good number to me. If anyone knows any actual diamentions could you please let me know did I read that their was 40 feet between levels?

Thanks Brian

Several of the stories mention a map of the silos, with red X over ones that are gone. Then Dust mentions the layout of silos again, with lines converging to the Seed. So... has anyone found a workable layout of the silos like that? 50 circles arranged on a map?

Along that thought.. I assume things like silo 18 is adjacent to silo 17, for example, and that each silo has a straight line drilling path to Seed. And of course the subtle question... which silo contains people from which US State, as this all started as State delegate groupings at the convention. Does silo 18 consist of people from Louisiana, as that is the 18th alphabetic state?

Down Deep
    Quote Originally Posted by siloreader View Post
    Along that thought.. I assume things like silo 18 is adjacent to silo 17, for example, and that each silo has a straight line drilling path to Seed. And of course the subtle question... which silo contains people from which US State, as this all started as State delegate groupings at the convention. Does silo 18 consist of people from Louisiana, as that is the 18th alphabetic state?
    I doubt they would have used an alphabetic system, though it's possible. The silo that Mick and Helen went to (according to Woolpedia, the Tennesee silo: http://woolpedia.org/index.php?title=Donald_Keene) was right next to Silo 1 (Georgia). Woolpedia labels it as Silo 2, though I don't buy that. DUST says that Silo 1 is in the center. In a sensible numbering scheme, leaving 1 in the center, 2 would be in the upper left corner. I've confirmed with HH that 45 is in the lower left corner (key to a story I'm writing), which matches my presumption.

Hi. I'm still a bit confused. How about we work up a sketch.
    First example attached.
    7 x 7 = 49. Ooops... missed it by one!
    2 at upper left.
    45 at lower left.
    1 in the center.
    17?
    18?
    etc?
    Click the image to see slightly larger.
    silo map 1.jpg
    Last edited by siloreader; 09-21-2013 at 09:13 PM.